APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Pro Video Formats Update!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

John Rofrano
Re: Pro Video Formats Update!
on Dec 5, 2014 at 12:10:17 pm

[Brett Sherman] "So two copies of the media are on the same array? I'd call that one backup, not two backups."
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have 3 physical drives for backup and a 4th for working in progress. The RAID 5 has 9TB of all of my archives on-line (Camera Archives and Project Archives). That is backed up to external hard drives via USB 3. I back up the camera archives to a different drive than the projects. These are 1TB drives so there are multiples of these as they get full.

That's 3 copies of backup because while the camera archives contain all of the footage, the project archives also contain the footage again that I've used in the project because I always copy the media into my libraries. So the footage exists twice on the RAID 5, then again on the Camera Archive backup drive, then again on the Project Archive backup drive but only the footage I've imported into the project.

Then the 4th place is my video project drive where all of my current work is. That's the 4th copy while I'm working but at the end of the project that gets archived to the RAID 5 and an external project backup drive and gets removed from my working projects drive. So that's not really a backup because it's transient. In the end I'm left with 3 copies on 3 drives (Camera Archive drive + Project Archive drive + RAID 5) When the 9TB RAID 5 gets full I'll just buy another one. It's a CineRAID 4 disk enclosure with 4 x 3TB WD RED NAS drives with the RAID controller built in.

This is what it looks like:

Backup Storage:
RAID 5 -> Camera Archives + Project Archives
Ext HD 1* -> Camera Archives
Ext HD 2* -> Project Archives
* multiple drives as they get full

Working Storage:
Video Projects HD -> Current projects but these are transient for the life of a project

Hope that clears up any confusion. I think you assumed I was editing on the RAID 5 as well. I am not.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]