APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Pro Video Formats Update!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Brett Sherman
Re: Pro Video Formats Update!
on Dec 3, 2014 at 2:06:05 pm

[John Rofrano] "Well said. You are most vulnerable the moment you take the card out of the camera because you only have one copy. I immediately create a Camera Archive to my RAID 5 array. Then I backup the archive from the RAID 5 into an external hard drive. Finally I import the media into my Library so there is always a working copy and two backups. Note that RAID 5 in and of itself is not a backup. RAID 5 is for uninterrupted use in case of a single drive failure. You still need a backup!"

So two copies of the media are on the same array? I'd call that one backup, not two backups. It would protect against corruption(pretty rare) not media failure. Everyone has their own system that works for them, so I'm not criticizing here. But I'd be uncomfortable relying on a backup on the same drive. If your external dies while on the shelf you are pretty vulnerable to loss. If your external drive is always live then it's less risk as you would know when it dies.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]