APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Fcp X 10.1.4

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Fcp X 10.1.4
on Dec 3, 2014 at 1:21:19 pm

"Do you mean professional grade codecs? Intermediates for editing? Camera masters?"

I'm talking about professional acquisition post and delivery. I think ProRes will be around and QT as a wrapper will hang around as well. But pro users have long lamented about QT gamma shifts and are eager to move to something else. MXF is the most acceptable wrapper outside of MOV and is widely used. With MXF, you now have native interoperability of media files among Apple, Avid and Adobe without rewrapping. Probably Autodesk and Quantel, too. As a test, last night, I could easily import DNxHD MXF files from an Avid MediaFiles folder directly into X.

I think once this starts to resonate with facilities and broadcasters, it's going to be a very big deal. If you look at camera vendors, like ARRI for example, there's no reason not to offer MXF-wrapped ProRes files now. In the end, moving away from QT has a lot of advantages for pro users.

Of course, as we all know, standards are often ignored and each broadcaster has their own particular specs. It's nearly impossible to create one distribution file and have it be valid for a range of broadcast outlets. Heck, I just did a set of spots and had to create 8 variations to cover all the local station specs. And that was still "generic".

So, I applaud this move as hopefully one that will put some sanity back into the post environment.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]