APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX vs PPro CC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Mathis
Re: FCPX vs PPro CC
on Oct 27, 2014 at 8:00:19 pm

[martin dugard] "- is FCPX now stable, strong and advisable?"

It is very stable, very few crashes on my system. One thing is you don't have to worry about saving your work every few minutes, each time you quit out of the application and go back in, everything is as you left it at the time the quit was made. I believe you can have other versions by doing something called as project snap shot (not sure of the correct term here).

It is strong in many ways but there are two things that I would like to see improved -- ability to key frame color correction and bring back "Send To Motion" that was available in earlier versions. If you need more powerful color correction then you might want to consider Resolve as part of the tool set. Depending on what your needs are, you can go with the full (paid) version, or the Lite version which is free. I think most can get by with the Lite version. Beyond that, either version will allow you take a camera raw file and transcode to something like ProRes to edit in FCP X then ship back when time to color grade. Process is very easy.

I also recommend adding Motion in the mix. You can build your own transitions, generators, effects or titles then publish those out for use in FCP X later on. Most of this stuff can be done within a couple of minutes or so, depending on the complexity.

[martin dugard] "- did the production industry really moved away from FCP towards PP - or did they ,ove back to FCP? Is the production world still mainly FCP?"

Some have moved on to Premiere Pro others to Avid for a wide variety of reasons. The integration between Premiere Pro and After Effects is very solid. I think part of the decision making is based primarily around workflow needs. Some part of the production industry is migrating to FCP X as well. I was reluctant to jump on the FCP X bandwagon a few years ago but the software is becoming very useful now. One of the main reasons I jumped on board is because I feel the software is faster, more fluid and fun to use, especially because it is possible to easily build a custom effect in Motion. Just my take on it.

[martin dugard] "- are there any reasons why I should go PPro rather than FCP? (e.g. the fact that Apple's commitment may be weaker than Adobe - see Aperture, Apple other Pro software bing trashed°"

None that I can really think of. There is still the stigma that FCP X is still a "toy" and not meant for professional use, though on a much smaller basis since the initial release which led to all sorts of emotions.

At some point every editing software has gone through a tough phase of one kind or another. I remember when Premiere was considered a toy, it has improved over the years. Avid has fallen out of favor for various reasons, gained some market share back.

I hope this helps and look forward to what others have to say.

camera operator | editor | production assistant

Blackmagic Cinema Camera | FCP X | Motion 5 | Compressor 4 | Resolve 11

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]