APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Cutting a major Hollywood Feature on FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Cutting a major Hollywood Feature on FCPX
on Oct 8, 2014 at 4:57:28 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "While I am not advocating messy disorganization, I do think that FCPX can help unorganized people stay more organized in very simple and effective ways right from the beginning."

I'm sure it can, though there are people (and I have worked with some of them) that 1. love working in some sort of unorganized hell and 2. can't be bothered to follow even the simplest of direction. For example, I worked with one editor that didn't use bins in FCP 7. Everything from sequences to titles to SFX to raw footage was just hanging out at the root level of FCP's Browser window. When you asked him, "Hey, do you have clip XYZ" he would just scroll, scroll, scroll looking for it even though that took a million times longer than if he used the most rudimentary of bin structures.

On another project I worked with a guy that actually organized things in bins, but had audio all over the place and all we had to deal with was 7 tracks of audio (dialog, nat sound, music, VO) on 10 minute videos. Super simple yet sometimes music was on 2/3, sometimes it was on 11/12. Sometimes VO was on 1. Sometimes it was on 6. That's not "man, sometimes it's hard to do an insert edit when you've got 32 tracks of audio to deal with" that's "man, I just don't really give a crap."

If the mixer Charlie uses rarely gets organized timelines that's not an NLE shortcoming, that's an editor being unprofessional shortcoming. If you hadn't guessed, this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Being lazy, ignorant and/or just plain unorganized makes other people's jobs significantly harder and it's just incredibly rude and unprofessional to pass the burden onto someone else like that.

/rant

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]