APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Cutting a major Hollywood Feature on FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Cutting a major Hollywood Feature on FCPX
on Oct 8, 2014 at 4:12:33 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I think that might be more indicative of the level of professionalism and/or experience of the other editors rather than the software used. I've seen some ugly organization on very simple timelines so it's obvious that the editor either doesn't give a crap or, through inexperience, doesn't realize how much work it is for the mixer to sort everything out later. Either way, I'm someone is too lazy or ignorant to keep even the most basic of edit organized I doubt they would bother to use Roles either (assuming they even know what Roles were). "

In X, the timeline is simply organized differently right from the start. Roles are great, I use them a lot because I am an organized person (and need multichannel audio outputs), but if you don't use Roles, X2Pro does a pretty good job of organizing the timeline for the mixer, even without touching a single thing.

What I like about FCPX is that, even if you have a really super basic organization plan, that organization pays dividends at the end of the project. That is to say, as soon as you import files, add a Role that makes sense, Dialogue is Dialogue, Music is Music, Effects are Effects, DoubleSystem is DoubleSystem, SOT is SOT, or whatever other convention makes sense. That organization and delineation will follow clips around where ever you put them, and then X2Pro can make sense of them (you can also decide which Roles to send or not, in the X2Pro interface). If you need more detail, you can of course add more detail, like Dialogue (Role) > Character (subRole), but I find that even the simplest of tagging right after importing helps a whole lot. i wish you could tag Roles right in the import window, it would be even easier.

While I am not advocating messy disorganization, I do think that FCPX can help unorganized people stay more organized in very simple and effective ways right from the beginning.

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]