APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: My FCP X and Resolve workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: My FCP X and Resolve workflow
on Sep 26, 2014 at 2:24:29 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Now to my actual question, how are you connecting the FCPX Roundtrip files back to the original R3Ds within FCPX?
I do recall something about changing file types but I cant understand how that would work coming from Resolve to FCPX."

There is no need to reconnect to the R3D files, since the Resolve-graded media is the final, not the R3D media.

1. Import R3D into FCP X and transcode proxies.
2. Edit with proxies in 1920x1080 timeline.
3. Switch to "original" and export FCPXML.
4. Import FCPXML into R11. It automatically links to R3D. Grade.
5. Deliver using the FCP Easy Set-up, which renders clips and exports FCPXML.
6. Import that FCPXML back into FCP X. You'll have a new sequence linked to the graded media.
7. Deal with audio.

The gotcha in this workflow is that spatial conform is incorrect. FCP X think it's still looking at a 4K file resized to 1080, so you end up with the need to render. If you set spatial conform to none, the baked 1080 files are blown up by 4x. It's probably an issue with how Resolve handles the XML info. It does correctly interpret any resizing done in FCP X using scale/position changes.

FWIW - I did a music video that was shot with RED cameras and used a ton of reframing in the timeline. It was cut in Premiere Pro. Resolve completely messed up the sizing info, so I ended up grading it in SpeedGrade CC instead.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]