APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Apple drops ProApps from corporate definition

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: Apple drops ProApps from corporate definition
on Sep 17, 2014 at 7:02:00 pm

For the record, I like this U2 album A LOT, and I'll be buying the expanded physical edition. After thinking they were done making good albums forever, I'm delighted.

[Andrew Kimery] "Don't overtly control my device and I'll pretended not to know that you can overtly control my device."

I think that's exactly right....but still sideways to the point. Nobody is surprised by bricking or deauthorizing illicit tracks. That's an appropriate response, and even the most casual jailbreaker knows it's not only a possible outcome, but a likely one.

This is fundamentally different.

Unsolicited mail used to be illegal, and people flipped out when it first became legal. Spam feels nefarious because it is in fact often nefarious: sent by criminals for criminal purposes. There was a time when spam didn't exist, but when it arrived, people flipped out.

People's phones and iPods have been spammed for the very first time, and they're flipping out.

And this is different.

Mail and email are open-ended systems at the front. Anyone can now send anything. The idea of sync is CLOSED. Sync = MY STUFF, so this feels far more like a violation than junk mail. YOU are not supposed to be SENDING me ANYTHING. NOBODY is. This is MY STUFF.

The people who seemed to have freaked out hardest weren't the ones who saw the folder sitting among other folders, and after grumbling, casually deleted it. It's ones who just heard the music appear in shuffled playlists. It was not only not welcome, it REALLY felt like a violation when it appears unbidden between in the middle of your brain via your earbuds Beats headphones. People do personal things with their personal music. No telling what activities Apple might have interrupted with this.

The fact is that there was no precedent for this kind of violation of MY STUFF. I'm quite the fan of sites that delve deep into the iTunes terms of service. What's in there is hilarious, but the most paranoid and antagonistic of them has never pointed out that Apple has the right to dump their crap on you, and you can't opt out.

[Andrew Kimery] "Give all iTunes users a link (or code) to get the album for free and everything would've gone swimmingly."

Except for U2. This all started because they literally couldn't give away their last 2 singles -- even after playing the Super Bowl and the Oscars, the two biggest TV events in the world. I don't think Tim Cook had to twist their arms to take $100 million in exchange for Apple having the privilege of spamming half a billion unsuspecting people.

But even calling it spam trivializes it. The break-in simile is absolutely right. A pizza on the table is not benign, no matter how much I like pizza. Somebody BROKE IN to MY STUFF. There's not a person on earth who knowingly consented to this.

So there we go. Apple innovation. Finding new ways to violate its customers trust.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]