APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Apple drops ProApps from corporate definition

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: Apple drops ProApps from corporate definition
on Sep 17, 2014 at 1:45:57 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] " he also created the most naff moment in rock history and singularly destroyed U2 as a musical force. to the point where apple is now laying out instructions to remove unwanted U2 albums for customers."

My wife and I chose to honeymoon in Ireland in 1985 meaningfully related to our love of U2, and we've taken no pleasure from the tedium of their 21st century releases...but indeed, their naff-ness has been well underway. This was prompted by an overwhelmingly underwhelming reaction to their first 2 singles this year, which failed to chart at all in most of the world. They could barely even give one of them away, as the offer of a free download wasn't enough to motivate people to go get it.

So they asked Tim Cook for advice for how to sell U2 albums to people who no longer care about new U2 albums (ie, apparently damn near all of us), and Tim said, let's just stick it in their iTunes without asking. Anyone who left their iPhone sync in the default state of automatically downloading new purchases would have it magically appear.

Bad, bad idea.

In addition to the picture above -- one of my favorite recent additions to the internet, a tumblr called WhoisU2 has been archiving tweets around the theme of "Who are these people and how are they spamming my phone?" Hilarious, but do note, considerable NSFW language.

The unfortunate bit is that I think it's their first good album in 17 years. It's really good....but its deployment is indicative of Apple's out-of-tune opulence. They paid U2 a reported $100 million for the privilege of infuriating more people than had ever heard of the band before.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple do something similar again. For example, if they'd first done this with a Beyonce album, I suspect the world might have thanked them....but with this much cash on hand, no need to spend any of it wisely....

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]