APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Apple drops ProApps from corporate definition

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Apple drops ProApps from corporate definition
on Sep 17, 2014 at 7:51:24 am

[Scott Witthaus] "There is so much more visual content out there to deal with. Why try to fight for the long-form broadcast and film niche?"

No different than fighting for any of the other niches that collectively make up 'the industry'. Multiuser workflows exist in a lot of places but the thing that separates them is whether or not they have the budget to properly setup and execute a multiuser workflow (is it ISIS or is it sneaker net?). I've seen multiuser setups for everything from from high end TV shows and movies to fitness DVDs to web videos to behind the scenes featurettes to promos/trailers.

I spent 6 years working with 12 other editors in a primarily new media/web content shop with FCP Legend and Xsan and we made it work but it wasn't pretty. After that I got a gig working on a TV show which was 8(?) editors using Avid MC w/ISIS. Getting back to a proper multiuser workflow was such a breath of fresh air that I also hugged MC and its I-came-from-the-90's GUI. I'm not holding my breath for Avid to release a budget version of ISIS but I'm hoping that in time the cost of building an Adobe Anywhere rig will drop significantly.

[Oliver Peters] "I personally think the multiuser collaboration is overstated. "

I don't think it's an end all/be all feature, but if shared store and multiuser collaboration was more affordable (an Avid ISIS or Adobe Anywhere rig aren't anywhere close to cheap) I think more people would utilize it but the cost is a big barrier to entry. I never really thought of collaboration as multiple people working in one timeline at the same time (which just sounds chaotic) but multiple people working out of the same project at the same time. It's just a much more elegant solution than each editor having their own project, trying to keep the projects properly managed/all assets in sync across all projects, and exporting XMLs or 'one off' projects to share cuts, media, etc., between users.

There have been rumors (patents, bits of codec, etc.,) that point to multiuser project sharing in FCP X and I hope that comes to fruition.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]