APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X destroying audio edits in XML output

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: FCP X destroying audio edits in XML output
on Aug 30, 2014 at 2:03:40 pm

[Bill Davis] "Did you consider that Apple likely uses a "non standard XML" because FCP X itself is a "non standard" NLE?
And evolution was a core design goal? Apples engineering team is often surprising, but when they change things, it usually turns out there is an underlying reason. "

While that is certainly true, I'd be willing to bet that much of the reason Apple has shunned standards like EDLs, OMFs and AAFs with X is that they don't want to pay licensing fees to others in order to use these technologies. I have no particular problem with FCPXML if it actually worked. But from everyone I've talked to that actually works with it as a developer, they have a lot of frustrations with it. It keeps changing and based on my experiences, seems to be very open to interpretation, as evidenced by the fact that one developer can get completely different results than another. Some route honor levels and fades. Some don't. It's a real crapshoot as to what you'll get, depending on where you go with it.

Most of the time FCP X is great if you stay within its wall garden. Unfortunately X still gets a "D" in the "plays well with other" category, IMHO.

[Bill Davis] "It seems that overall, teams like the Grants at BlackMagic can parse present day FCPX XML pretty successfully, after all. "

Yes, but then they are unable to correctly parse it go the other way.

[Bill Davis] "But I honestly dont think thats how the thread developed, so it can be argued that we're left with a persistent thread title that is, at best, overblown. "

I guess we disagree. No different than "CC screwed me this weekend. Sigh."

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]