APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X destroying audio edits in XML output

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: FCP X destroying audio edits in XML output
on Aug 28, 2014 at 8:04:57 pm

After a bit more testing this afternoon, I have some interesting results. Two different projects.

Project A is a spot with sync audio that all comes from a C300 onboard recording. This is edited to the primary with split audio edits that overlap and have fades. Plus an edited music bed as connected clips. Project B is the test I used last night, with only VO and music edited as connected clips. Nothing on the primary.

I brought each into Resolve 11 and checked it there plus exported an XML from Resolve that I then brought into FCP 7. I also checked them in Logic Pro X. Lastly, I did a conversion via Xto7 to compare in FCP 7. So direct FCPXML into Resolve and Logic. Two different types of translated XMLs into FCP 7.

In the case of Project B (VO/music only as connected clips), Resolve and Logic don't shift the clips. This holds true when I use the R11 XML export and bring that into FCP 7. The Xto7 conversion DOES shift the clips. So in this case Xto7 seems to be doing something wrong.

However, in Project A (sync camera audio) Resolve leaves everything on A1 and, therefore, cuts off all of the overlaps, making that useless. Logic correctly checkerboards the overlapping audio. When I bring the converted XML from R11 into FCP 7, clip sync is correct, but you still have the issue of the audio that's clipped because the overlaps are gone, due to the single-track situation. OTOH, this project IS correctly represented inside FCP 7 using the Xto7 conversion.

The bottom line is that for Project A, Xto7 does the more accurate job. If you were going to use Resolve for a Project A piece, then you'd have to detach audio before exporting an FCP XML. For Project B, Resolve does the right thing. Logic is OK for all.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]