APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: File naming on import

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: File naming on import
on Aug 27, 2014 at 3:34:52 pm

AVCHD is not a great format for professional work. I don't like the duplicity either.

That being said, I always try to minimize disaster recovery. I haven't been seeing problems with using just FCPX, especially with the much better relinking that 10.1.2 introduced (simply select the top most level of footage and let FCPX do the rest).

You can always choose to transcode using FCPX, or not, and that process is very easy. Instead of having to go back to Prelude (or ClipWrap, or whatever) and make a new subset of media based off of the original camera media, just re-import the footage to FCPX and transcode whenever you need to (now or later).

Final Cut now organizes clips in a folder based on the camera metadata date (just like it used to with the files) so the Finder is more organized by date. I prefer to have my file names match the original clip media, as I can always find my way back. I realize that this may not be a popular option, but I found when FCPX renamed the original media, it was harder to go and find the camera original media if needed.

Also, FCPX (or the OS) seems to track the files. So, if you choose to import the AVCHD AND transcode, then trash the original media, X will still link to the optimized. When you choose to move those optimized files, X will still link to them.

But wait, there's more!

If you change the file name in the Finder, move the files out of the date structure, X will still keep the files linked.

I find X's system, to be a very solid system, but it may not work for everyone.

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]