APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX or Premiere for GH4 4K

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Nayeli Garci-Crespo
Re: FCPX or Premiere for GH4 4K
on Aug 21, 2014 at 10:38:23 pm

Thanks for the responses. We're still on FCP 7 and are trying to determine how worth it it is to be able to edit the GH4 files natively to avoid having to transcode everything to ProRes.

The all-intra 1080 files are 200 Mbps, vs. 100 Mbps for the 4K and the IPB 1080, so we were hoping to do multicamera shoots with a mix of the IPB 1080 and one camera at 4K, edited in a 1080 timeline to give ability to zoom in. Trying to strike the right balance of efficiency, disk space, and quality.

I guess I'll have to do some tests to see what kinds of issues crop up from using those settings instead of all-intra. In FCP 7 obviously non-all intra H264 plays back horribly (though I've still done quick and dirty edits that way on occasion to avoid transcoding), but the real downside was I'd get rendering errors with certain filters.

Sounds like FCP X can handle the long GOP files well enough to edit comfortably, even if obviously the all-intra is smoother? Is this something that is affected by processor speed, RAM, video card? A combination?

Thanks again!

-Nayeli

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]