APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: With FCPX magnetic timeline,the non-linear is linear again!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Lawrence
Re: With FCPX magnetic timeline,the non-linear is linear again!
on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:48:52 am

[Reed Black] "1. Add your transition 1st. BEFORE you add the black space."

yes, but this is the simplest possible example. On a complex timeline it may not be possible. The bottom line is that the behavior is unpredictable and completely unintuitive.

Another example: click the head of the clip and use the context menu to select "add transition" instead of command-T. Result? Fades at the head and tail of the clip!

Re: Positioning tool - Yes, you can press P and place clips anywhere, but it's not changing the ripple-only nature of the timeline. It's placing transparent slugs where ever a gap appears. These slugs are objects on the timeline and have to be managed. I honestly don't see how this makes my work any easier.

These aren't minor quirks. To me, they're huge usability gaffes and there are a ton of them throughout the program. It's really sloppy, amateurish design. Coming from a world class UI leader like Apple, it's baffling how X got out the door. It feels like they never did any basic usability testing with actual users!

This is why so many of us are saying X is unusable for our work.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]