APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

There Is No Such Thing as an Asymmetrical Dissolve Transition.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Charlie Austin
There Is No Such Thing as an Asymmetrical Dissolve Transition.
on Aug 6, 2014 at 6:58:33 pm

I've had a change of heart. After some technical "research" I now conclude that there is no such thing as an asymmetrical dissolve.

The only way to have an asymmetrical transition is with a discrete A/B cut with opacity/level fades of varying lengths. All you're doing with an "asymmetrical" dissolve is shifting the cut point between your two clips. Think about it... keep thinking for a while before you reply. :-)

A 30f "dissolve" is using a symmetrical amount of A/B media. The only thing you change with an "asymmetric dissolve" is the edit point. Here's an example from an ancient thread...

lets say you wanted a 30 frame transition, but wanted it to be asymmetrical in that you wanted it to start 10 frames before the edit point and then continue on for 20 frames after the edit point. That would be the same thing as rolling the edit point in 5 frames to the right, and then putting a centered transition. The start and end frames used in both instances would be identical

Jerry is correct, the others are wrong.

You can change the perceived symmetry of a dissolve by changing the ease in/out amounts of the dissolve effect, which, of course you can do easily in X. It is still symmetrical though. Having the ability to adjust the mid-point of a dissolve effect without moving it is nice visually, but that's all it's really good for. Simply sliding a centered dissolve effect in the timeline accomplishes the exact same thing.

So, to sum up. There is no such thing as an asymmetrical dissolve transition effect. Not in Pr, or FCP 7, or X or anything. The only way to do an asymmetrical transition, one where say, the A side fees out quickly and the B side fades ups slowly, using an unequal number of frames on either side, is by doing a discrete A/B overlap and adjusting the fade handles asymmetrically. As I have done here. Using a dissolve effect on 2 clips in the same track or storyline is always symmetrical.

I look forward to your (incorrect) responses. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]