APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is it all over?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shawn Miller
Re: Is it all over?
on Jul 9, 2014 at 11:55:04 pm

[Jeff Markgraf] "how is it that DVD and blu-ray titles are so ubiquitous in retail?

The same way VHS tapes hung on for years after the majority of people switched to DVDs.
The same way networks insist on protecting the 4x3 frame years after it's almost impossible to buy an SD television.

Inertia.

And there's always a little more money to be made off the late adopters (like my friend who refuses to give up his dot matrix printer). I just smile and wish him well."

I don't think this is a good comparison. VHS and cassette tapes were both supplanted by superior formats. Blu-ray still offers many advantages over streaming video; higher quality, lower cost and portability. I'm also not convinced that inertia explains why you can pre-order first run titles for a supposedly dying formats. Personally, I don't think disk based media will meet the "true death" until streaming media can reliably deliver an equal experience at a similar price point. Until then , I think things will pretty much continue as they are; people will watch both, some will favor streaming, some will favor watching disks... very few people will take an either or approach.

Shawn

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]