APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is it all over?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Herb Sevush
Re: Is it all over?
on Jul 9, 2014 at 1:33:03 pm

[Bill Davis] "If you think the stuff in X is all smoke and mirrors, I feel really sorry for you."

I was just having fun with your little story Bill, I don't think X is smoke and mirrors.

Your story reminded me of a great producer I worked with for many years. Back in the 80's, when the web was first taking off, we were pitching work at the big Wall St. investment houses. When asked if he had a website Geof always said yes. I asked him why he said yes when I knew he didn't have a site. He said the guys we were talking to never went on the web and barely knew what it was, to them having a website was just an indication of cool. "But what if they do go to check out your site?" "I'll just tell them that its down." He laughed and, by the way, we got the job. Years later, when it actually made financial sense, he built a site, but I always remember that bit of wisdom. So lets say my little post was just an homage to Geof Drummond.

[Bill Davis] "short spot stuff is about all that's going to be left for those who edit with a dumb NLE rather than one bolted onto a DAM/Database system. "

All NLE's are DAM/Database systems. X has keyword collections, which I agree are very powerful and valuable, but the lack of them will not prevent me from efficiently cutting long form on other systems.

[Bill Davis] "You can string out 40 potential shots on a dumb timeline and pick from among them visually, no problem. When you have 400 (or 4000 clips!) flooding in from every direction to manage - things are different. "

My current series has over 2000 clips. I'm not overwhelmed. Feature and documentary editors have been dealing with thousands of clips for decades - there are systems of organization and file naming conventions that make this quite possible. They managed to cut Apocalypse Now without X, I think I can handle a cooking series without it as well.

Also, my timeline is not dumb. Fat and ugly perhaps, but not dumb; and now you've hurt her feelings.

[Bill Davis] "Remember, not many years ago, running 10 cameras on a scene was a big, expensive deal. Now *I* can pull 10 cameras together to shoot something with a couple of phone calls and the promise of buying my colleagues lunch. And that's where we're going."

3 years ago I was the one trying to convince you about a future where a 25 camera iPhone sourced documentary had to be taken into account when designing a multicam editor, while you were arguing that 8 angles would be more than sufficient for X, so I do get a little galled with your lecturing to me about the future of multi-camera editing. But only a little.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]