APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is it all over?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Is it all over?
on Jul 9, 2014 at 10:56:10 am

[Herb Sevush] "Then there's the sharp owner who simply re-paves the lot, convinces his customers that he's computerized everything, triples the prices and rakes the money in while his customers brag about the better service they're getting because they were smart enough to pay extra for it. And they have the special magic coin to prove it.
"

Herb,

If you think the stuff in X is all smoke and mirrors, I feel really sorry for you. Because I suspect that in the not too distant future, short spot stuff is about all that's going to be left for those who edit with a dumb NLE rather than one bolted onto a DAM/Database system.

Adobe understands that with Bridge and a kinda first cousin to the X keyword db running in Lightroom - so it's not like they're not already thinking down the same road. They'll just have to do it by making calls outside the core app rather than having the capacity directly in the NLE code.

What makes an NLE is changing. Not because Apple changed it with X. But rather because they saw the ever increasing complexity comping and realized that their editors needed tools to handle it.

You can string out 40 potential shots on a dumb timeline and pick from among them visually, no problem. When you have 400 (or 4000 clips!) flooding in from every direction to manage - things are different.

Remember, not many years ago, running 10 cameras on a scene was a big, expensive deal.

Now *I* can pull 10 cameras together to shoot something with a couple of phone calls and the promise of buying my colleagues lunch.

And that's where we're going.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]