APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Laughably OT: Can you ID an old graphics system?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joseph Owens
Re: Laughably OT: Can you ID an old graphics system?
on May 13, 2014 at 7:58:20 pm

Started out at an RCA-equipped television station. TR-1, TR-4, 2xTR-60, TR70-C (no time code on any of them) -- edited machine-to-machine -- producer punched a "start all" button in the control room, and did all the switching and fader bar transitions. Big deal when the BVU-200s arrived with their 2 machine controller, whatever BVE it was. Then three VPR-1s arrived, which were replaced by VPR-2s. I moved to a post house that could gang 3 time-code enabled AVR-3's together, optimize record current everyday, set ScH for every edit session -- at least it was good for in-frame match edits so we didn't need to do A-B rolls. The engineering department there pioneered an Apple II-based "film conform" system that converted a foot+frames EDL paper list to a paper EDL that we could enter into the Ampex (pre ACE) machine controller. DVE was a Vital Industries "Squeezoom"... four channels of SD video! Tumble turns! Learned how to operate a 3M D8800 character generator.

Moved to SONY. Then on to an AV department where I encountered M-Format ("Recam")... and a lovely BVH-2000 that was a real workhorse. Grass Valley system -- GVG-100/ DPM-100 and whatever controller was integrated. Over 20 years ago. Then started working as a colorist and went over to daVinci Renaissance although I was trained on an 8:8:8, which didn't arrive at the facility I was hired at until 5 years later. Rank-Cintel URSA, eventually with MetaSpeed and a TLC-II controller (best multi-machine multi-format controller I have ever seen), and now, you know, a bunch of Macs and software.

I have to stop and dab an eye when I think about the millions of dollars of scrap metal out there, and the blood, sweat and tears shed over media that will never be seen again. Was it all just wasted time? Thanks, Don Henley.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]