APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: On Faders and Mixing (NLEs are DAWs)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jim Giberti
Re: On Faders and Mixing (NLEs are DAWs)
on May 10, 2014 at 5:26:56 pm

I've grown up as a music producer and a film/video producer.
I've spent countless hours sitting at different evolutions of mixing consoles and yeah, as a musician I can definitely see the analogy of the console as an instrument.
In fact just the other day my partner and I were talking about complex mixes, before automation, where we would rehearse our fader moves on 32 track mixes, repeated over and over - taking the instrument/band analogy even further.

That said, I just finished a mix in FCPX that didn't allow for me to get the audio into Logic or DP where I mix now.
But, having my main processors from Logic available in FCPX and after getting very comfortable with CCing levels of audio, using the range tool to even initial levels, and then using the CCs as "fader groups", I was able to get a very good mix done.

Coincidental to this thread, I made a comment to said partner how I've really evolved away from the mixer/instrument paradigm as the sole means of creating good audio.

Now, I'm not talking music, where I would/could never create elaborate mixes without everything laid out in real time before me. But that's a demonstrably different experience than creating, say, a 3, 6 or maybe 8 track audio mix for a TV spot.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]