APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: On Faders and Mixing (NLEs are DAWs)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Marcus Moore
Re: On Faders and Mixing (NLEs are DAWs)
on May 10, 2014 at 3:17:33 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "NLEs are DAWs - though their functions may be limited, it's hard to come up with a definition of DAW that an NLE doesn't fit. The fact that most editors will not extensively use the DAW functionality doesn't change that."

I'm not sure I agree here. A DAW is exclusively audio focused- so the toolset can be optimized specifically to be the best audio tool possible.

An NLE by its very nature is at cross purposes. What works best for lean, fast, and efficient picture editorial is certain to compromise what may be best for audio. Conversely, a NLE which is a great DAW is probably making all sorts of compromises to picture cutting, especially as the audio stack becomes more complex.

This is why I think it's a foregone conclusion that top tier audio finishing (in the same way as graphics) will always be done in specialized apps.

Of course, the balance that has to be struck in any NLE is what level of features is "enough", and what level of compromise do you make between being a great picture and sound editor within that NLE.

There's no right answer here. Everyone has their own level of functionality and compromise that they find sufficient to meet their needs for NLE audio. And this depends entirely on individual workflows in question- How much responsibility the editor has for audio in the production? What level of complexity is required?

It's always an interesting topic. As it relates to FCPX- it's obviously the least DAW'ish NLE out there, with it's forsaking of conventional track structure. Apple is clearly putting the emphases on picture first- and i'm curious as anyone to see how more complicated audio functionality is figured into that structure.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]