APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

On Faders and Mixing (NLEs are DAWs)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Franz Bieberkopf
On Faders and Mixing (NLEs are DAWs)
on May 10, 2014 at 2:49:19 pm
Last Edited By Franz Bieberkopf on May 10, 2014 at 3:00:15 pm

… a follow up to recent thread digressions, Daniel Lanois on "performance mixing":

"I don't see the console as a piece of technological equipment particularly; I see it as an instrument - a musical instrument."
~ Daniel Lanois, "Here Is What Is" (2008)

… great to watch his hands on the faders (even when he's just demo-ing tracks). This clip (the mix, around 5mins in) suffers from the implication that it really should be shot from directly overhead the mixer, but the hand-held from behind gives you his mixing dance, and his talk-through is great in terms of just sharing his inner monolog while he works the faders.

I hope it might inspire someone out there to grab the fader tools and record some automation if they never have before.

Obviously, it's a piece of music, but audio always offers orchestration since it's used more in parallel than picture is (which tends to be serial in arrangement). Even at the level of "offline" editing (which is what I'm doing most of the time) audio can influence the structuring of a piece. While I'm never doing anything so elaborate as Lanois' dance, I can't imagine being restricted to point and click operations.

NLEs are DAWs - though their functions may be limited, it's hard to come up with a definition of DAW that an NLE doesn't fit (though they lack multi-track recording capabilities). The fact that most editors will not extensively use the DAW functionality doesn't change that.

Franz.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]