APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX UI instability- is it just me?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bret Williams
Re: FCPX UI instability- is it just me?
on May 8, 2014 at 4:42:55 am

[Bill Davis] "Just curious as to why you aren't using the preferred workflow of Optimizing to ProRes (and/or proxy) doing all your editing with speed and ease in the mezzanine codec, then simply moving the pointers back to the original files when it's time to export your high rez masters?"

For me proxy is pointless as it doesn't support alpha channel. Depends on the project of course but I'm usually doing multilayered stuff mixing in multiple elements rendered out ProRes 4444 from After Effects.

Personally I can't see the difference in performance between ProRes 422 and the Canon h264 .movs I often edit with. I generally don't ever transcode. But I do see the beach balls or sluggishness once and again. Those are definitely not due to using h264. If they were they'd be a constant. Either the system can perform or it can't. If a system can scrub smoothly and be super responsive for 4 hours or so and then suddenly become sluggish and flaky, then there's a code issue or a plugin issue. The biggest problems I've had is with Motion templates in the timeline. Often they utilize very large files to have scaleable effects. They're a memory hog and when things get sluggish, I'll go check the memory monitor and wow, suddenly I'm using all 32gigs for FCP X, sending it beach balling or crashing. I think there are some massive memory leaks in the app.

Mixing all sorts of crazy codecs in Premiere doesn't even phase it. FCP X, should be able to handle it too. It has it's issues, but I'm not sure that's one of them.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]