APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX UI instability- is it just me?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX UI instability- is it just me?
on May 8, 2014 at 2:10:03 am

[Jason Porthouse] "Cursor disappearing from the UI. Still works if you manage to hover over a menu but no mouse pointer"

Try selecting the arrow tool if this happens. Sometimes I find I am still stuck on the crop tool after making an adjustment and forget to hit "done" and move on to other clips.

[Jason Porthouse] "* Waveforms not refreshing"

Yes, I have had this happen. I find toggling the view will sometimes help them refresh (it's like FCP7 in that way). Control-option-up and down arrow will help to toggle.

[Jason Porthouse] "Range tool utterly inaccurate when entering in and out points on the fly - for instance, I usually turn music tracks into secondaries so I can edit them and add dissolves - but try and mark a bar of a track using I & O in the range tool. Seemingly completely random placement. Same goes for clips in the browser."

I haven't seen this at all. With the range tool, the in/out point will be set at the cursor, so there's that. It could be better.

[Jason Porthouse] "EQ's instantly lost on re-opening the EQ panel to tweak, necessitating redoing the EQ from scratch"

Yes, this has been a bug for a few versions now. It's annoying, please report it.

[Jason Porthouse] " Beachballing at almost every move or tweak after about 4 hours work needing a restart to cure."

I do get a beach ball every now and then. It seems to be related to autosaving, and thumbnail waveform caching. I haven't found a way to completely control it, but this did help: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/344/28466

I know it takes some time, but I would report anything you see to Apple that is buggy. Give step by step instructions if possible, and bonus points if you can recreate it.

And now it's time for an anecdote:

I just got through more than a week of attended editing with FCPX. It was the first time I had worked with these particular clients, and I chose to use X due to the nature of the footage supplied.

Everything went really really well. No one commented on how slow everything was going or how mickey mouse the system was, because no one really noticed any difference. Audio post asked why there was 42 tracks of audio in my test AAF, and it was because 2 1.5 second clip had 16 channels of blank audio on it that I forgot to disable. I disabled it before the final of two AAFs, and all was well.

Some asked what I was editing on because it looked different from the Avid's they were used to. I told them it was Windows Movie Maker. Laughs ensued, knees were slapped, good times were had by all. And then I told them with a straight face, no seriously, it's iMovie, and kept working.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]