APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FCPX UI instability- is it just me?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jason Porthouse
FCPX UI instability- is it just me?
on May 7, 2014 at 9:07:24 pm

So it's interesting. I'm doing an edit for a longstanding client on X - a system I suggested for her (2012 iMac i7, Radeon 6970 2 gig graphics, 20 gigs RAM. G-Raid 8TB thunderbolt media drive. Cutting non-optimised C300 footage with a little go pro thrown in the mix.

I'm getting, in no particular order -

* Cursor disappearing from the UI. Still works if you manage to hover over a menu but no mouse pointer
* Waveforms not refreshing
* Range tool utterly inaccurate when entering in and out points on the fly - for instance, I usually turn music tracks into secondaries so I can edit them and add dissolves - but try and mark a bar of a track using I & O in the range tool. Seemingly completely random placement. Same goes for clips in the browser.
* EQ's instantly lost on re-opening the EQ panel to tweak, necessitating redoing the EQ from scratch
* Beachballing at almost every move or tweak after about 4 hours work needing a restart to cure.

And a host of other REALLY frustrating UI 'features' that make day to day editing frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I love cutting in X when it's good - I've had moments when it's so quick, intuitive and easy I really can't imagine going back to anything else - but then BOOM! it drops the ball big time with something so basic you wonder what the hell they're doing in Cupertino.

Some of this may be setup - but I think not, having gone through the system with a fine tooth comb. But it just seems like some serious attention should be paid to some of the basic UI and usability and stability issues. I so want to use X for some of the broadcast edits I'm working on or have booked in for the future - some i think it would be ideal for - but these little niggles make it hard for me to suggest it to producers who are utterly wedded to Avid and will seize on any small problem to say 'See? Told you it's a mickey mouse system!' - which would be the last thing I'd want.

I'd love to spend a month with the developers going through this and sorting out stuff from an editors perspective. I really hope the next release addresses some of this funkiness.

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]