APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Issues with FCPX, mac dustbin and anecdotal resolution

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Issues with FCPX, mac dustbin and anecdotal resolution
on Apr 18, 2014 at 5:27:21 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Apr 18, 2014 at 6:02:50 pm

[John Davidson] "There's nothing in particular wrong with FX Factory per se. In fact, there's nothing wrong with any plugin manufacturer. However, the more you add to a system that isn't directly controlled by Apple and it's programmers, the more likely you are to have issues with it. Therefore I avoid anything that isn't home brewed by my team."

I can understand your position in wanting a clean, safe environment free of risk and in principle that's clearly a sound business decision that we should all be emulating - but there's risk and risk.

I just wanted to point out that there's a world of difference between buying a plug-in from FxFactory and buying one from one of the very many more questionable operations that have sprung up to exploit the opportunities presented by FCP X.

Mentioning FxFactory specifically in relation to an issue raised by a plug-in from Pixel Film Studios seemed like a particularly low blow - though I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

FxFactory have been around for 10 years, long before FCP X was ever thought of, and have been providing plug-ins for FCP Legacy, Premiere, After Effects and Motion from a number of very well-respected developers - people like Graeme Nattress and Tim Dashwood among others, as well as Gabe's own seriously extensive array of tools.

Gabe and Niclas have built an extremely robust and sophisticated ecosystem for the delivery of these plug-ins that is really far superior to anything else out there in my view. As Mathieu points out below, handling multiple licenses in a multi-seat environment should be pretty straightforward with this system - maybe it's not perfectly suited to the way you work but it's impressively streamlined, I think. If there's something that you can imagine they should be doing better, I really do suggest you let them know, as Gabe works tirelessly to make the system better.

To extrapolate from saying that some plug-ins cause issues to saying that therefore all plug-ins should be avoided is not I think a reasonable position.

Though of course, I would say all that ;-)

I also suspect that you're not fully consistent in your avoidance of third party solutions. I can't remember what you've said about this but I'm presuming you need to get audio out of FCP X for finishing and hence must be using X2Pro. As we know, Apple has left certain chunks of the FCP X environment deliberately uncatered for which means that third party solutions are a necessity for many of us.

Is there really any difference in risk between using X2Pro and, say, Dashwood's Stereo3D Toolbox? I don't really see it myself.

I'd also suggest that however impressive the skills of your Motion team and much as I like Motion myself, there are tasks that it's simply beyond Motion to be able to deliver on, which is where properly designed and executed plug-ins can really speed up your workflow. (Not mine, of course - they're all rubbish.) And as much as the avoidance of risk is an important consideration, so also is delivering the end product quickly and efficiently.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]