APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Issues with FCPX, mac dustbin and anecdotal resolution

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

John Davidson
Re: Issues with FCPX, mac dustbin and anecdotal resolution
on Apr 17, 2014 at 10:32:10 pm

There's nothing in particular wrong with FX Factory per se. In fact, there's nothing wrong with any plugin manufacturer. However, the more you add to a system that isn't directly controlled by Apple and it's programmers, the more likely you are to have issues with it. Therefore I avoid anything that isn't home brewed by my team.

We have this program that is relatively lightweight, doesn't require any subscriptions, isn't dialing home every 4 minutes, and is designed to let you quickly and easily copy libraries, events, and projects to other users who can very quickly and easily open those elements as needed. While FX Factory does give you many excellent plugins to use, it basically negates everything great that I described in the first sentence of this paragraph.

It's a hard stance for me to take, I know. However, I think one of the reasons we've been successfully using FCPX in a broadcast environment for over two years now is because I take that hard stance. I've asked Apple to consider allowing FCPX plugins to be sold in the app store, but since that would violate sandboxing rules, they can't.

FX Factory is great if you're a one man band, but for us I just avoid it because my system now lets me buy a new mac, sync all our home brewed generators, effects, and transitions to it, and we're off to the races. I can then share those home built elements with any client upon delivery of their project. For me it's all about simplicity and portability.

I hope that makes sense. Absolutely I don't mean to disparage FX Factory and the hard work that team does - as well as all their excellent developers like you. I do follow all the apple discussion forums though, and one of the first things we look for when someone has a problem in FCPX is - "what 3rd party plugins do you have installed". When we're mission critical and have two hours before a delivery to a network - that is not a hunt I want to be on, you know?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]