APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: So anyway, 4K

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: So anyway, 4K
on Mar 31, 2014 at 10:40:39 pm

I'm different, coming at this from design rather than editorial, and from staging rather than video.

[Tim Wilson] "-- Are you working with it in native 4K/5k? "

Yes, and beyond. The largest raster I've dealt with this year was nine times UHD.

[Tim Wilson] "-- Aside from the frame dimensions, what format?"

Mostly synthetic footage. Lots of image sequences, a bit of CineForm and ProRes intermediates.

[Tim Wilson] "-- What's your distribution? (theatrical, tv, non-broadcast, corporate, etc.)"

Large-format events and installations.

[Tim Wilson] "-- How much did it cost for you to upgrade your systems to handle 4K/5K (computers, storage, etc.)"

I didn't really upgrade for 4K as I've been doing large-format work for a while. Beyond what most folks here may generally have (nice workstations and rast RAIDs), I've invested thousands of dollars on top-spec CPUs, piles of RAM and solid-state PCIe storage.

[Tim Wilson] " I think it's important to those other threads to START with the experience of people who are ACTUALLY doing it. For the rest of you, if you ARE interested, will you be looking at NAB? What will you need to find in order to make you act?"

I'll take this as an invitation to discuss the challenges of high-res work as I see them today, and why we are doing some 4K but not all-4K-all-the-time.

4K monitors are rare in the real world. Those 2160p30 Seiki monitors don't count.

High-res deliverable standards don't really exist yet. I'm more concerned about UHD (3840x2160) than any other flavor of 4K at the moment -- but HEVC and Rec. 2020 haven't really landed yet.

The biggie: engineering (at least in the staging and rental space) hasn't caught up with acquisition. The current generation of routing and switching hardware in the channel are largely 3G-SDI or single-link DVI. This means that there's still a bit of rocket science involved in high-res applications. I'm still mainly measuring my work in split and synchronized channels of HD and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

What I am primarily looking for at NAB (or since I'm not going this year, what I am hoping to primarily look for vicariously through others) is DisplayPort/6G UHD-SDI signal distribution and processing hardware. Other interests include broader 4K monitoring support and more resolution-independence in software.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]