APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: So anyway, 4K

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joseph Owens
Re: So anyway, 4K
on Mar 31, 2014 at 7:17:59 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "We need an organization (SMTPE?) to come up with standards for file deliveries.....how much slate, bars, black etc. Everyone wants something different. It's going to get worse with 4k. Is there even a 4k tape delverable?"

No, there is no "4K" tape recording format. HDCamSR tapped out in its later versions at 2048. My SRW-5500 'only' does 1920x1080 (and capable of 720P, but never used it for that).

But. True enough. I did respond with some more Resolve-centric points on this thread in the DaVinci Resolve forum.

SMPTE does have recommendations for how channels should be assigned, order of program elements... they're good for legal documents and quoting official-sounding references like SMPTE 320M-B. Some of these things, no one knows what they are, most are just plain ignored, and most of them you have no control over, anyway.

Like, are you sure you are supplying time code at SMPTE 12M standard, and your video conforms with 274M?

I feel the "deliverable" pain. I have a stack of binders from a couple of dozen broadcasters -- sometimes even from subdivisions of that broadcaster where the deliverables have their own sub-variants. The worst part of these is usually audio channel assignment, not even basic leader/slate requirements. Really, who even cares about that stuff any more? Its probably not even digitized at the pickup point.

I do agree that things are going to get even worse, plus, the expectation is that most of us will have to start paying for extremely fat pipes to upload all this stuff. Not to mention the issues that we are already encountering with portions of the file disappearing.. like, you know... the captions and stuff. I see the final encoding of all the VANC data, like captions, plus Dolby E, &tc., getting beyond the control of those people who, really, just wanted to upload their show. And textless elements, and separate titles, and every audio stem known to man, in a variety of frame rates, resolutions, bitrates...

Tape was easy, and, with an insert-edit... revisable. Now you have to re-compress and re-upload the whole shebang, even if you wanted to change one pixel. So is all-or-nothing really such a great idea-- because that is what we have with file-based anything no matter what format it is.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]