APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Question for Frame Rate/Codec Wizards! :-)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Question for Frame Rate/Codec Wizards! :-)
on Mar 22, 2014 at 2:58:02 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "How is the architecture best described then, if not frame-based?"

By frame-based, I mean that each and every frame is separately accounted for. QT and MXF (I think) look at the header and calculate from the first frame based on duration of the clip. So they are clip-based and not frame-based. This is why you cannot lop off the beginning and end of a media file when you consolidate. You have to make a shorter copy.

Quantel, Assimilate and Autodesk use a frame-based media architecture, since their internal workings are based on image sequences. Quantel calls this "Frame Magic", I believe. It allows you to shorten a media file simply by eliminating the unwanted head and tail frames without making a copy. I believe the old Leitch/DPS Velocity used a similar approach with their Virtual File System. This applies to their own internal media formats, though. I'm not sure if it applies to "soft-imported" compressed codecs, like when they directly access a QT media file.

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Is AV Foundation any different in this respect?"

I don't know.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]