APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Amazed at render mgmt - and a downside

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Herb Sevush
Re: Amazed at render mgmt - and a downside
on Mar 13, 2014 at 3:27:40 pm

[Bret Williams] "Hopefully edit* was a bit more advanced."

edit* started out as D/Vision, which, along with EMC, was the best PC NLE editor in the 90's. It was re-written for windows and then bought up by Discreet Logic, who wanted it to compete with Avid as an off-line editor to feed into the whole Smoke, Fire on-line system. This was viewed as a great move by D/Vision-for-windows users but was a nightmare, starting with the ill conceived name change to "edit*". the problem from Discreet's point of view was that it was too good - it was not only feeding into Smoke, it was, when combined with Combustion, beating the pants off it for a fifth of the price. It was easily the finest NLE I have ever worked with, although primitive by today's standards, and superior to Avid in almost every way at the time, but not nearly as well known. When Autodesk bought up discreet, edit* became the victim of corporate infanticide, and I eventually moved on to FCP, a move that to this day I think of as a lateral, as opposed to upward, progression.

So yes, I think it was a bit more advanced than editDV.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]