APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Recommendations for software and hardware for Digital Humanities/New Media Lab

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Lizzie Finnegan
Recommendations for software and hardware for Digital Humanities/New Media Lab
on Mar 12, 2014 at 5:13:51 pm

Hi everyone! My school is setting up a New Media Lab for students and faculty to work on a wide variety of projects, some involving media production, some involving things like TEI and text-markup, some interactive media, game design, geo-spatial mapping projects, etc. I was asked to come up with a list of software and equipment, but I don't really know what to recommend! We need things that will be good for faculty research/projects but will also be easy to use for beginning student.

I think we will be going with Creative Cloud (we discussed the whole debate but the administration prefers to go this way), but I know there is additional software that would be helpful for what we need. For example, is there anything to replace Flash for doing interactive web-installed animation? Our students won't be learning to code, or at least not well enough to write the programs themselves, but we would like them to be able to do some of those interactive digital poetics projects of the kind you could do with Flash if there are any possibilities.

We also need to get a few simple video cameras and audio recorders---probably DSLRs that can work with external audio, and Zoom recorders and mics, but I don't know which models to recommend for beginning students. These will mostly be English majors who are minoring in New Media or simply taking some Media Studies/New Media courses; we don't have a Media Studies program per se. So really we need some solid, easy-to-use workhorses.

So, I would be hugely grateful for any recommendations for either software or video/audio equipment!

Cheers,
Lizzie

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]