APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: AVID Down But Not Out...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ernie Nathaniel
Re: AVID Down But Not Out...
on Mar 6, 2014 at 5:39:56 am

I understand the reluctance to want to pay for something that one feels should be free, especially feedback to a vendor. As a user of AVID software since the mid 1990's and editing over 500 pieces, either commercials or longer programs that have gone to air, AVID has not failed me. Closed captioning now in SD and HD was implemented a few years back with the Data track and has worked excellently. Final Cut Pro has worked well also, although for me, I can edit a lot faster on AVID Symphony or Media Composer than on FCP v7. I liked the trimming tools better and AVID with their Smart Tools they adapted a Final Cut approach with augmenting their segment tools, to edit more like FCP, if you wanted to. Sort of the best of both worlds. I think part of the reason I was faster on AVID was mainly because I knew the keyboard commands so well.

If one thing has happened, Apple successfully humbled AVID into making their product pricing reasonable. And Apple makes a great stable, yet beautifully graphical operating system, to be outdone by none. But all I can say is that at least AVID is attempting to listen to people. I wrote them for a couple of years about closed captioning, and after a couple of years, we got the data track. Maybe AVID does listen. I cannot believe that the introduction of FCPX was ushered by the wishes of any of us, nor was the abrupt end-of-lining of FCP, a major tool that had become the heart of many production studios. That move did not show a commitment to the professional community to me. That wasn't a professional thing to do. Sorry if I still seem a little bitter.

AVID with all it's faults, still works very well, and is constantly being improved. Unlike Apple, that abandoned its FCP customers and their whole methodology, and even nomenclature that was well established in the industry, all the while experimenting and tweaking FCPX to bring back functionality that FCP had years before. As for the hardware, the new MacPro is beautiful, and hopefully more programs will start utilizing the dual GPUs. But it requires a larger investment to regain interoperability with the peripherals we had before. And all this is still evolving of course. NAB should be very educational this year.

But I digress… so AVID is charging to attend. I wish they weren't. Yes, I paid the money and will attend the ACA meeting. But I like the opportunity to say what I like or dislike to the vendor. Can't honestly say that would happen with Apple, as much as I love Apple, ever since my Apple IIe. I wish Apple would make us feel like they're interested in our comments. So, I'll try and get my money's worth at the ACA, and I'll gorge myself on the food, just to make sure.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]