APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X destroys my audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP X destroys my audio
on Feb 13, 2014 at 5:33:07 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Wow. I've never had *that* in live playback. Sheesh! FWIW - here's a screen grab of the waveform."

That is so weird that it's in one channel. I have never seen this problem, but I guess I will look out for it.

[Oliver Peters] "Well, for real surgical corrections, Resolve is the best, but most feature and basic spots and corporate projects don't need a zillion nodes. In fact for most of the latter, I've been happy to stay inside FCP X and use the Color Board or Hawaiki or something else."

Me too. I hear you, I don't want to complicate anything more than it needs to be, but Resolve does help. For primary/secondary without and keying/tracking FCPX works well. Resolve allows us to go a bit deeper.

While Color is supper straight forward, it has trouble with 4k sources, the LUT implementation is all or nothing (not clip based), and making changes are a real pain as keyframes are very hard to edit. The tracking is just OK, and matte creation could be better.

I also think that while the rooms make sense, it is really hard to rearrange the stacking order once something is done. Since you can't copy/paste room information to the next room (like a secondary to another secondary, or primary out to primary in) it makes things more complicated and very time consuming. If you don't have a super set plan going in, or something changed midstream, Color has some rigid handcuffs without starting a whole new Grade, where in Resolve I would be able to simply start other nodes and connect it all back up in the order that I need.

Plus the XML jockey in and out of Color is getting old.

[Oliver Peters] "There's a lot about SpeedGrade CC that I like, but some far, the whole Direct Link thing with the Lumetri filters is a total performance dog. Maybe after a few updates it will be optimized. However, operationally, SGCC is a lot closer to Color than Resolve."

I really like the 12 different control levels (master/shadows/mids/highlights, and then the shadows/mids/highlights on each of those). The keying methods are pretty good, and I like the widget.

The workflow is stodgy, though, I agree. I hope it can get a little better. I also like the layers in Speedgrade that can be rearranged, and also you can control the strength of each layer. This is much more control than Color gives, but I know what you're saying. Where Ae is layered compositor and Nuke is nodal, Speedgrade is layered with Resolve being nodal. These are both valid, just different.

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]