APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X destroys my audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: FCP X destroys my audio
on Feb 13, 2014 at 2:19:00 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Mmm. No. This is FCPX specific, and it's not the FCP7 crackle, this is blast you out of the seat, WTF was that? type of noise. It's just like you are describing, but it's in real time over hardware, not in the export."

Wow. I've never had *that* in live playback. Sheesh! FWIW - here's a screen grab of the waveform.

[Jeremy Garchow] "Color isn't doing it for me anymore. I was hoping for Speedgrade, but that's still a moving target for now. It has to be Resolve for the moment."

Well, for real surgical corrections, Resolve is the best, but most feature and basic spots and corporate projects don't need a zillion nodes. In fact for most of the latter, I've been happy to stay inside FCP X and use the Color Board or Hawaiki or something else.

The last feature I graded was shot on Alexa and edited in FCP 7. The client wanted a definite "look". Between director and DP, I ultimately went through 4 processes: Color, Resolve, Color again and FilmConvert.

I find that the "rooms" design of Color is easier and faster to quickly move up and down the timeline and apply adjustments, than doing this with nodes in Resolve. I can look at the timeline and know precisely which Secondary was used to create a part of the look and simply slide those around very quickly. The Resolve UI is a mess if you don't work with a control panel and definitely not optimized for dual displays. Plus if you are working on a system using an AJA card, it's useless.

There's a lot about SpeedGrade CC that I like, but some far, the whole Direct Link thing with the Lumetri filters is a total performance dog. Maybe after a few updates it will be optimized. However, operationally, SGCC is a lot closer to Color than Resolve.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]