APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: 4K might become a reality quicker than we think

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Richard Herd
Re: 4K might become a reality quicker than we think
on Feb 11, 2014 at 9:23:25 pm
Last Edited By Richard Herd on Feb 11, 2014 at 9:28:50 pm

[Tim Wilson] "very interesting reading"

Thanks for the link. I read that article (or parts of it) about once a month.

I think the issue John Heagy was brining up is

[Tim Wilson's Article] "A number of years ago some IMAX engineers - and I don't think IMAX ever let these guys out of their lab again -- did this wonderfully elegant experiment at the Large Film Format Seminar at Universal Studios Imax theatre. They showed this film they made that began with 2 rows of 2 squares: black white, white black, as if you had 4 pixels on the screen.

Then they started to double and double and double the squares. Before they got to 4K the screen was gray. Do you know what the means? There was no longer any difference between black and white, which is what allows you to see sharpness. It's the contrast that we see, not the actual information. Technically, the MTF (Modulation Transfer Function) was zero at 4K! ...

This is why I honestly think that in the future, one direction we're going to have to go is to higher frame rates, not more pixels.

Somebody said that the perfect thing would be 60 frames a second at IMAX. Kodak would love that. [laughs].

EDIT: Regarding HDR, I asked once in the cinematography forum in anyone had ever tried modifying a 3-chip camera into an HDR motion capture. 3-ccds, one exposing for highs, one exposing for mids, one exposing for shadows. I keep thinking I'd like to try that with my AG-HVX200, but I'm not even sure where to begin.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]