APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: 4K might become a reality quicker than we think

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: 4K might become a reality quicker than we think
on Feb 10, 2014 at 11:16:11 pm

[Darren Roark] "Nobody wanted to wear the stupid glasses.
"

People will wear glasses for the right content. Over 80% of the audience for Gravity saw it in 3D. More than Avatar.

The larger problem is that the overwhelming majority of 3D movies bite. I'm a HUGE enthusiast, and other than the Hobbit, I can't remember the last 3D movie I saw and liked.

(Actually, stay tuned for Stalingrad, a Russian movie that'll have its US debut at the end of the month. Stunning on every level.)

More important, movies at home are a TERRIBLE business model. It's simply not sustainable for building a platform. Can you imagine if the ONLY reason to watch HD was movies? No way.

HBO and Netflix have learned this. They'll keep selling movies because it's easy, but they way they're making REAL money, now, and even moreso in the future, is off their original...what? Their original WHAT? Their original TV series.

And hey, it used to be boxing. Back in the early 70s, the only people I knew with HBO got it for the boxing. It's still around, but it's no longer the core of HBO's business model.

Movies are a core product for Redbox, but almost exclusively to the extent that HBO and Netflix are softening their grip on them.

You might disagree with my assessment of that, but it doesn't matter. LOL The only reason you can watch movies and sports in HD is because you bought an HD TV to watch TV shows.

It's the chicken and egg, and the egg always comes first...and last. 3D TV is on its last legs because there was never any 3D TV to actually watch. 4K will live and die by the same thing. Not the hardware. The software. For TVs, that's TV SHOWS. NOT MOVIES. NOT SPORTS.

For better AND for worse, you'll get a 4K TV when you want to watch the 2015 equivalent of Breaking Bad or Spongebob in 4K. No amount of remastered 1960s widescreen epics mixed with Adam Sandler in "Grown Ups 4K" is going to get you there before then.

But, to my earlier point, we're years away from 4K being driven by anyone but indie producers and filmmakers with snowflake workflows. Compelling content that isn't movies or sports will drive broadcast LAST. It happened with HD, and it'll happen with 4K.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]