APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: 4K might become a reality quicker than we think

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 4K might become a reality quicker than we think
on Feb 10, 2014 at 9:31:46 pm

[tony west] "When I think about how many stations and multi million dollar remote trucks I do sports out of that would have to toss their cameras out, I feel like it's gonna be a while for the networks."

Precisely. Not only cameras, but switchers, converters, frame syncs, everything. You might as well back that truck right in to the ocean (or lake, since I live near one of the magnificent Great Lakes).

And then there's delivery. Think if you're a huge satellite or cable provider, you have to provide a new decoder box with new hardware to your subscribers.

As a consumer, you have to replace a fairly new TV with a brand new 4k TV. Besides Seiki, 4k TVs are typically $5,000 - $20,000+. Of course this price will change, but for now, the one guy in the neighborhood who had a laserdisc/projector setup will be the guy who has the one 4k TV in the neighborhood streaming 4k YouTube videos.

4k delivery, in my opinion, will mostly be an IP based delivery at first. It will be a splintered delivery on top of a fairly fractured market. Amazon will release a 4k IP box, Apple may release a 4K ready IP box, Roku, etc, and BluRay will release a 4k recommendation to be licensed by the major manufacturers, but delivered via IP.

Broadcast is going to take a long while.

4k acquisition, though, is here for the most part. Personally, we don't shoot 4k all of the time, but we do use it as a tool on certain gigs.

I think once you see Arri make a 4k Alexa, 4k will have arrived as there will be a true reason behind the resolution, whatever that may be.

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]