APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: So is FCPX earth shattering, or should I just move on to Adobe?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: So is FCPX earth shattering, or should I just move on to Adobe?
on Feb 9, 2014 at 6:53:38 pm

[Lillian Young] "My Mac Pro is from early 2008, and I am doing my first FCP X 10.0.9 project from an external drive. That said, I feel that it's extremely slow."

In my experience early 2008 MacPro's do not work well with FCPX. One of my first FCPX clients, the summer it got released, was using a 2008 MacPro and complaining the entire time. I took my 2011 MacBook Pro and blew them away... You really need to use a newer system to work quickly with X, and then you will realized how slow FCP7 really is, especially when importing and rendering.

[Lillian Young] "I was very prepared to until I discovered that you can't do basic things like select an in and out point without a workaround. I'm putting up with it, but I cannot expect a team of editors to do that."

You must be doing something wrong. When logging footage you can set in and out with the same keystrokes as you do in FCP7 and you can set as many in/out points as you like and turn them into favourties, so you never loose them. In the timeline the in and outs don't stay put, but its really just a matter of getting used to.

[Lillian Young] "Also, for the latest version, you must upgrade you OS? Who does that in a pro environment with tons of third party apps/plugins, etc. that aren't guaranteed to work with a new OS yet?"

This is the case for any NLE. One should never update in the middle of a Project. But as far as I can tell, all the plugins I use, Magic Bullet Looks, SliceX, and all the FXFactory plugins work perfectly fine with 10.1. It took Resolve only a few weeks to make the new XML compatible.

[Lillian Young] "But I unfortunately will have to start learning Premiere or Avid.If plugins don't matter to you, then I would look toward other editing software."

Its always a good idea to learn other NLEs,especially as a freelance editor. But plugins are important to all NLEs. Most RedGiant plugins, and FXFactory plugins work for FCP7, FCPX, Premiere and AfterFX. Not so sure about Avid since I only edit news on that, but there is plenty out there as well.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]