APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: 4K might become a reality quicker than we think

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Darren Roark
Re: 4K might become a reality quicker than we think
on Feb 9, 2014 at 12:22:09 am

Matt Lauer already looks too real for comfort to me in HD. Just as HD workflow gets easy, now they are hellbent on changing it up again. I'm not happy about any of this, but it's happening much faster than when HD rolled out here in the states.

You can download and watch 4K movies with Sony's overpriced media player right now. At about 40GB each, depending on their servers, that would take about three hours per to download on my connection. Not great, but still doable, HEVC will make it easier. The BDA announced 4K Blu-Ray discs are on the way last month, and Netflix will be testing 4K in certain areas with the next season of "House of Cards".

This 4K youtube video of footage from that new panasonic camera steams at 4K just fine. (It's only 3 mins, a 90min film at that compression would be 13GB)

Sears is selling a Seiki 4K 55" tv right now for $850 and they have pretty good reviews, they already have cheap affordable sets. Most people don't understand resolution is only part of it, but it didn't stop them from calling 1080 "TrueHD" which was total BS to make people buy yet another TV.

The broadcast side I totally agree. Most people are unaware they are usually watching a heavily degraded 720p signal at best from most broadcasters. That and some are finally phasing out tape as a delivery medium in spite of the HDCAM SR decks they had to buy at $100K a pop. (from Sony) For broadcast, they will change when they have to and it won't be soon.

The point is if they can sell people new TVs and make money, they will. Then everything else has to catch up to that standard. We just saw all this happen in the mid-2000s and now it's happening again ten years later. Sony is a TV maker and a major movie studio who master all their current films and TV shows in 4K. (Breaking Bad is in 4K on their media player.) That way they have the content to lure people into buying a TV they don't need.

Again, I don't agree with it, but any new content I make I am going to be keeping this in mind.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]