APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: 4K might become a reality quicker than we think

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Darren Roark
Re: 4K might become a reality quicker than we think
on Feb 8, 2014 at 9:19:39 pm

I agree with this. It's the changing expectations of the people who pay us that will change things.

Thinking back to 2008, most of the post houses I dealt with for commercials in LA charged around double for HD workflow. Then suddenly a year later the 7D came out and the 5D had the 24p firmware update. A bunch of ad agency creatives went out and bought them much to the dismay of many DPs I know who for a time were expected to shoot jobs on those. The cat was out of the bag and our clients were unwilling to pay the HD surcharge any longer.

Now that PP and FCPX can both edit in native 5K footage, clients shooting lower budget jobs on the upcoming inexpensive 4K cameras will have raised expectations. It will be like 2009 all over again. I'm still happy with my 720p 50" plasma that I sit six feet away from, but the 4K 39" crappy Seiki monitor I bought showing Red footage looks stunning up close. Most people stand right up close to the TVs in the stores and judge the picture quality and I bet 4K will sell a lot of them unfortunately.

The bright side is there will be a point where this will eventually stop as the human eye has it's limits. Unless Sony is currently developing bionic retinal implants, I am optimistic it will end at 4K.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]