APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: 8 core or 12 core?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Franz Bieberkopf
Re: 8 core or 12 core?
on Feb 7, 2014 at 1:22:43 am
Last Edited By Franz Bieberkopf on Feb 7, 2014 at 1:24:43 am

[Darren Roark] "... otherwise it's the exact same card that costs $6800 for a pair of them."

Darren,

If you have more information (ie. that they're "the exact same card"), please post. But I think less is known that what you assume. I'll quote again from the previous thread:

I don't know if anyone's actually looked to see if the Apple FirePros have other FirePro specific features yet? Anandtech don't go into things like 30-bit colour output (10-bit per channel, consumer cards can process this but won't output it), Order Independent Transparency under OpenGL, ECC for onboard cache memory, EDC for memory bus protection, and various other FirePro only features.

(Rick Lang further confirmed that they 10-bit colour but since OS X doesn't support 10-bit colour yet, you can utilize the 10-bit colour if you boot up under Windows.)

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/65215#65238

From your link (above), you can add the 7970:

D700
Stream Processors: 2048 SP
Memory Bus Width: 384 Bit
Memory Bandwidth: 246 GB/s
Compute Performance: 3.5 TeraFlop
VRAM: 6Gigs
Core: Tahiti XT

Stream Processors: 2048 SP
Memory Bus Width: 384 Bit
Memory Bandwidth: 246 GB/s
Compute Performance: 3.79 TeraFlop
VRAM: 3Gigs
Core: Tahiti XT

I think the 7970 was released mid 2012, now discontinued, but it retailed for less than 500.00 I believe. The only differences between it an the D700 according to the chart are the performance and the VRAM.

I suppose you might be getting $6800.00 of GPU for about 1000.00. Or you might be getting something more like what you pay for.

Franz.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]