APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: 8 core or 12 core?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Franz Bieberkopf
Re: 8 core or 12 core?
on Feb 6, 2014 at 7:34:09 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "I also think moving forward, ... I think the main boost will come from GPU-acceleration."

Erik,

While it's good to hear about things like Red Cine X developing GPU support (if I read you correctly), it's probably worth revisiting the GPGPU discussion around the MacPro for context.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/65215
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/01/two-steps-forward-a-review-of-the-2013...

"Despite the hype, the GPU still plays second fiddle to the CPU, and that won't change for most demanding creative applications despite Apple's accomplishments with FCP X. A complete transition from CPU to GPU computing isn't going to happen, ... You can't rely on a GPU the way you can the CPU, and developers already know this."
[...]
"I have a deep understanding of how my hardware is used and what the limitations of the GPU are. Despite the accomplishments of Resolve and FCP X, this thinking about the GPU as a silver bullet for everything computationally intensive is actually waning. The inflexible and difficult-to-program GPU cannot replace the CPU for everything. While there are some exceptions that manage to tap both GPUs and the CPU for maximum output, those applications are not the norm."
(arstechnica)

His concerns about development at Apple re: OpenCL are also of interest.

What I took away from that discussion is that a balanced system is still fundamentally important - CPU, GPU, and the software end that can use both efficiently. While the Mac Pro is certainly an interesting development, it isn't clear what the trade-offs they've settled on will mean in the long run.

Seems like the system you want if you're running FCPX, though.

Franz.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]