APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: 8 core or 12 core?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Darren Roark
Re: 8 core or 12 core?
on Feb 6, 2014 at 3:04:13 am

[Oliver Peters] "Or, if you don't believe in the future of 4K mastering and don't use FCP X near-exclusively, you could go with the 6-core and D500. Faster processors than the 8 or 12-core."

The six core with the D500s will leave every computer I have ever owned in the dust, but I still am getting the D700s. To me it's not about mastering in 4K at the moment, it's about being able to get jobs started quicker without transcoding first. FCP X and Premiere with GPU muscle both do great at this, and both have ways of creating proxies later.

With Premiere Pro and AE having much better OpenCL performance on CC along with Resolve, the D700s really help future proof the investment. The extra $600 for double the VRAM and performance is an easy choice for me. Looking at the price of the workstation PC versions of those cards it's a steal.

The great thing about the 'classic' Mac Pros is how useful the six year old models still are with an upgraded GPU. But with no way of knowing if there will be an option to upgrade them in the future, I'm not going to regret spending extra on it now.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]