APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: And the lightbulb goes on...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joseph Owens
Re: And the lightbulb goes on...
on Feb 4, 2014 at 11:36:04 pm

[Charlie Austin] "In a weird way, cutting mostly in X has made me faster in legacy. ;-) I find myself using shortcuts I didn't really use before I "discovered" them in X. Despite the popular wisdom, and setting aside magnetism, X and 7 work in very similar ways. "

Sitting beside a very experienced FCP trainer at the Supermeet, lo these many years gone, I was treated to pretty much a running commentary on how all these new "features" of X were just simplifications of techniques that already existed in Legacy. To me, the "trackless" layout was essentially a continuously "re-nested" sequence, that was continuously shoving decisions behind the curtain, where the Might Oz was huffing and puffing to keep track of where all that stuff was being positioned, assigning arbitrary hierarchies (roles?) that the foreground editor at the user interface neither cared for, nor worried about.

You really only have to unpack an X project in Resolve, which tries to unstack all the decisions that are laying latent to realize just how pell-mell the behind-the-scenes structure is being constructed. Like Lucy stuffing too many pies coming down the assembly line into not enough boxes.

At the end of the presentation, I loved his comment... "have they not read their own manual?"

Probably not, in actual fact -- but then again they are building these products for people who are notoriously persistent in their deliberate ignore-ance of accompanying literature.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]