APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: OT-ish: Sooooo....how's business?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Sam Mestman
Re: OT-ish: Sooooo....how's business?
on Jan 28, 2014 at 5:38:04 pm

Hey Bob,

I actually really agree with this... for post houses, etc... this change will require them to adapt their services. For in house editors that can't make themselves indispensable this may also be a problem (read Seth Godin's Linchpin for a further understanding). In many cases, these changes will lead to indentured servitude for many editors caught up in the wrong places with sweatshop rates and poor treatment. Not that this doesn't already exist anyway, but it may become worse.

HOWEVER, there is a huge flip side that very few talk about. Because of the affordability of gear, there is a HUGE opportunity for those with an entrepreneurial disposition. Because the walls have broken down for gear, distribution, and the ability to do things in-house, you're going to see many take their careers in their own hands, generate their own content, and make their livings off their own self generated content. For me, this is the dream... to see people fully in control and accountable to their audiences, and seeing the profits from their labor directly. So, while on the one hand, you'll see editing become commoditized, for those brave enough to strike out on their own, walk the walk, and make the movies and content they always wanted to create, they finally have the toolset to compete on the highest level and be their own boss. I never got into this business to have a 9-5 and be a drone for someone else's whims and learn to be a yes man. There's easier ways to make money. I got into this to make cool things and be proud of the work I do. I now have the ability to control what I do and don't do for the first time in my life. This feels like progress.

No doubt, it's a double edged sword. There's going to be downsides to this. A lot of people won't like it. But for many, it's an opportunity for creative freedom and independence, and I think that needs to be kept in mind when weighing the merits of what's happening in the industry.

Sam Mestman
Workflow Architect - FCPWORKS
http://www.fcpworks.com
http://www.wemakemovies.org

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]