APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: OT-ish: Sooooo....how's business?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark Dobson
Re: OT-ish: Sooooo....how's business?
on Jan 27, 2014 at 2:37:50 pm

2014 looks promising.

We are a small company and already we have a full order book to take us right into the Summer. That is a relief because the last 6 months have been difficult. I know that with the recent FCPX upgrade the work should go a lot more smoothly than last year and ten times more smoothly than the year before that when FCPX was really sticky and awkward to use.

There are 2 of us working full time in the business, a producer and camera/editor (me!) and being in good health is really important, last Autumn I broke my ankle out walking and suddenly we were in the situation of having to hire in camera operators and an editor and that was really not good for the cash flow or profitability of the business. 4 months on and I'm back to normal although still going to the hospital for physiotherapy once a week.

In more general terms I often wonder how healthy a job this is. Out filming is pretty good, some days you get lots of exercise carrying gear and walking a lot, other days are more static. But editing is basically sitting at a desk for long periods of time, so taking a break to go for a walk or ride on the bike is pretty important.

An aspect of this business that has changed dramatically over the last ten years is the social interaction side of it. I figure that a lot of people now work the way I do. That means one person fulfilling the roles previously carried out by a bunch of people. I now operate a camera, produce graphics and edit video through to final delivery. Working like this is the new norm and ultimately pretty antisocial which is why forums like this are important to get a feel for what other people are getting up to and here of new developments. It's also good to get out to trade shows and talk to people.

So that's a good new year resolution, go to more shows and trade events and participate in more forums.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]