APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX cutting a hundred million dollar feature right this minute.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: FCPX cutting a hundred million dollar feature right this minute.
on Jan 22, 2014 at 5:12:36 pm

[Gary Huff] "Who made the Blair Witch Project? No one can tell you off the top of their head. And how much did they make from this movie? Depends on the deal, but these being first time filmmakers, "

Maybe good, maybe not. Without "The Blair Witch Project" would there have been "28 Days Later" or "Cloverfield"?

I actually do know some of them and have a general idea what they walked away with (see comment above). Some of them continue to make indie films, but also commercials and web marketing. FWIW - they invented the concept of virtual marketing over the web and other media outlets for a film. Something that many major studios tried to dissect and duplicate without any real success.

The deal with most indie filmmakers is that they have one good idea and it's a project of passion. They raise money for the production and then start worrying about selling it and the distribution deals after everything is finished. Very few indie filmmakers embark on their journey with any actual business plan or strategy. Making money in the movie biz is like making money as a musician with hit records. Similar stories and percentages.

I would suggest that this also has a bearing on career choices for editors. A friend once passed along this advice from a mentor of his (an old film editor). I'll paraphrase: "You can work in commercials and corporate and make a decent living most of your life, or you can work in features and live like a king for six months every two years."

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]