APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X on a 2008 mac pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Re: FCP X on a 2008 mac pro
on Jan 20, 2014 at 5:04:18 pm
Last Edited By Fabrizio D'Agnano on Jan 20, 2014 at 5:05:55 pm

I upgraded my 2008 MP adding RAM and a 5770 GPU. I won't move to 4K any soon, since the TV I produce content for won't change the delivery standards in the next future, so I guess that if my machine keeps doing just what it did in the past two years for another two, it will be about a two hundreds dollars per year expense, that's not bad especially if you are on a tight budget. AVCHD 190x1080 runs smooth even without transcoding, I can launch heavy export during the night time so a, say, 20% faster wouldn't mean much to me, and I can say I am pretty happy. No problem of any kind. Plus I can keep running my very fast internal RAID and all the e-sata RAID or enclosures without having to spend more money for TB ones and adapters. RAM and video card make a noticeably difference. I recently went to a friend of mine's office, where he has a 2008 MP that's twin with mine, but with the standard GPU and 8 Gb RAM, and it was a pain, although we could still edit, with spinning beach ball most of the time and very noticeable lags. For older FCP7 projects, I have an external FW800 drive running Mountain Lion and FCP7. If I need to access one, I launch that as a system drive and do what I need to do.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]